Elizabeth Cooper
It's my mother's birthday this month, and I wanted to create something sweet and just a touch whimsical. This is what I came up with:


I started with a piece of vanilla cardstock, which I cut and folded into the card base. Then I added a piece of pattern paper from the Recollections: Charming 12x12 paper pad. I really like this paper. It's fun without being overwhelming. I distressed the edges and inked them using Inkadinkado Coffee Bean ink.

I moved on to the sentiment next. I stamped the image (which comes from the Fiskars Birthday Party stamp set) using Memento Rich Cocoa ink onto a piece of vanilla cardstock, and mounted it onto some brown cardstock to give it a pretty border. I then colored the image with Copic markers and adhered the panel onto the card using foam adhesive.

I wanted a few extra touches, so I wound a piece of ribbon around the cake panel to give it a gift feel, and used some Stickles in Golden Rod to create the sparkly flames.

I added a cute butterfly from Martha Stewart's Butterfly Stickers pack to one side of the card. I really liked that the glitter on the butterfly matched the Stickles I used on the flames of the cake.



And because my mother's birthday is in February 19, I used a fine-tipped glue pen to go over the "2" and the "19" in the background paper, and then added some Martha Stewart glitter to those numbers to make them stand out.



Finally, I stamped the sentiment, also from the Fiskars Birthday Party stamp set, on the inside.



Labels: , | edit post
2 Responses
  1. Virginia L. Says:

    I always like the idea of incorporating calendar into a card! Well thought-out and design,Elizabeth! Your mom is going to LOVE it! Here's wishing her a happy birthday! xo


  2. Julia Aston Says:

    What a fun design with the numbered graph background highlighting the date! that cake is so festive too! The pretty butterfly adds nice sparkle! thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment! I was happy to come by and see what you've been up to!